I couldn’t find any Data on the Gitana 43 designed by Oswald Berckemeyer. It is said 20 hulls were built in South Africa.
As an owner of a Gitana 43 (since December 2000), I’m keen to see it included in the Sailboat Data site.
I Spoke with the designer before he passed. Oswald told me he designed the Gitana 43 as a fast, easily handled and comfortable ocean cruiser for a young family. Originally designed as a Schooner, only one still has the Schooner rig. The others I know of are cutter rigged sloops.
Here is some data relating to my Gitana 43:
- Length; 43 ft / 13 m
- Construction; Fibreglass Hull, wooden decks and fitout.
- Designer; Oswald Berckemeyer
- Class; Gitana 43
- Weight; 13 Ton
- Draught; 6 foot /2.1 meters
- Rig; Schooner/Cutter Rig Sloop, Aluminum Spars
- Keel; Fin with stainless steel bolts
- Rudder; Spade - Balanced
Here is a link to my blogspot web page for “Blue Heron”; http://yachtblueheron.blogspot.com/2007/04/introducing-blue-heron.html