Rudder systems for Colvic Salty Dog 27

Apologies in advance for the lack of technical jargon.
My boat lies in a drying out harbour, Bray, Co. Wicklow, Ireland.
After suffering 2 smashed rudders last season, I need to look at alternatives.
One alternative is a lifting rudder.
Has anyone designed one or is there a off the shelf product.
So apart from the two hinges, I think they are called gudgeons. there is a plate attached to the bottom of the hull.
Incedentally the Gudgeons probably need to be replaced as they are twisted, How are they held on?
There are hexagonal bolts outside, do I need to locate the otherside to undo or are they simply moulded in to the hull.
The reason I ask this is that the area where they are most likely to be is very difficult to see and consequently to get at.
Any comments or assistance grateful.
JOHN COLEMAN

I always have a heart to assist an Irishman.

First, is this the correct boat: http://cdn.yacht4web.com/users/8779/low/COLVIC%20CRAFT%20Colvic%2027%20salty%20dog~yw652535-11.jpg

If so, I have a suggestion for a replacement rudder. I have the same on my boat, smaller and trailered. If you let the boat dry out, you may need to rig a temporary leg to prevent the boat from resting on the rudder. I can only imagine how much pressure that puts on the little rudder.

Stainless steel (INOX) rudderhead, robust lifting mechanism. Not inexpensive, plus shipping overseas.

I have no connection to the company but as an endorser, they make a strong product. I am tough on boats.

Continuing the discussion from Rudder systems for Colvic Salty Dog 27:

Yes that’s my boat